Home -> View Lot
 

Baltimore Terrapins 1914 Federal League Stock Certificate Signed by Rasin

Lot Number 16

Quantity: Bid Starts: 03/31/2014 12:00:00 
Bid Open: 250.00  Bid Ends: 04/10/2014 23:45:41 
Bid Count: 10  Overtime: 30 Minutes
Currently: 550.00  Time Left: Ended
View Count: 436   
       
      Previous Lot <--> Next Lot
 
Description

For cause and effect, serendipitous events and history-shaping happenstance, fans need look no further than the Baltimore Terrapins ill-fated endeavor in the upstart Federal League. The club’s brief tenure (1914-1915) saw the launching of Babe Ruth’s Major League career, as well as the debut of a ballpark that indirectly put Baltimore in the big leagues. This stock certificate was issued in 1914 as investors had high hopes for both the team and “outlaw” circuit. The crisp document is framed to 15x12 and visible from both sides. More on our website.

The crisp document has a Federal Base Ball Club of Baltimore logo and bears fine-print legal details in elegant font, with typewritten specifics including the buyer’s name and shares amount. Near the conclusion, the item is dated “MAR 31 1914,” which was just 13 days shy of the franchise’s first-ever game, an opening day triumph over the Buffalo Buffeds. On the appropriate line, the certificate is signed by team president Carroll W, Rasin (d.1940), a Baltimore politician whose efforts drew the ire of Babe Ruth. The trickle-down effect of the Federal League (specifically, the Baltimore Terrapins) was amazing.

The club built a wooden ballpark (as opposed to the concrete structures erected by other Federal League clubs) on the corner of 29th and Greenmount. The Terrapins run (albeit a brief one) wreaked havoc on the attendance of the existing Baltimore Orioles, an International League team who resided literally across the street for the Terrapins. While the Orioles endured, they were forced to sell their best players. Among those the team was forced to part with was Babe Ruth, who was sold to the Boston Red Sox on July 9, 1914 along with Ernie Shore and Ben Egan.

The historical significance of Terrapin Park is the stuff of legend. Following the Federal League’s demise, the Orioles took over the “newer” Terrapin Park and re-named it “Oriole Park.” It stood until it was ravaged by fire in July 1944. Needing a home for that year’s postseason, the Orioles were allowed to play in Baltimore Stadium (later re-named “Memorial Stadium”). Oriole fans filled the cavernous structure to capacity. While it was obviously beneficial to the existing Orioles, it caught the collective eye of Major League Baseball, which, less than 10 years later, allowed the St. Louis Browns to Move to Baltimore.

The frame's glass covering facilitates viewing from both sides.

Frames included with lots: while we make every effort to protect the frames included in these lots during pre-auction storage and post-auction shipping, we are not responsible for any damage to the frames themselves, and no refunds will be given due to frame damage.

 
 
Pictures  (Click on Photo to Enlarge)