When Shibe Park was renamed Connie Mack Stadium in the Tall Tactician's honor, THIS was the very sign that was debuted with great fanfare below the "Shibe Park" facade. (As seen in the accompanying 1953 image with celebratory flag bunting festooned all around.) Countless Phillies fans of all ages gazed on the metal behemoth as they passed through the hallowed entrance at 21st Street and Lehigh Avenue to watch Ashburn, Roberts, Ennis, Hamner, Burgess, Seminick, Allen, Bunning and Callison in action. Spanning 6 feet long by 2-1/2 feet high and weighing in at a hefty 45 pounds, the sign features riveted silver letters on the black backing with 10 border holes for hanging. Typical general wear commensurate with many years of stadium usage. Also included is a photopied 1980s Philadelphia Daily News article mentioning Larry's purchase of the sign and his display of it at the Delaware Valley Sport Collectors Show, along with a handful of photos documenting the sign over the years of its usage and up through the stadium's demolition. A historically important, museum-worthy piece of Philadelphia sports history!
Note: this item has a reserve (estimated value: $5,000-$10,000)